Yes And Board Meeting 9/25/18
In Attendance: D’vorah, Tracy, Marie, Meredith, Meg, Pat, Julie, Adam, Mindy, Allison, Michael, Chris, Jeff, Deborah (via phone)
– Approved minutes from last meeting
– Approval of meeting agenda
– Intro of 3 potential board members
– Allison – Yes And alum, WSOT at Eastern, Intern at Yes And, in not for profit accounting.
– Mindy – two kids who attend summer camp at Yes And, lives in community, background in education, Social Work – Macro/Community Org and Policy, currently in staff development – Leadership for National Equity
Marie – lives in community, Health Educator, President of Pomona Cherokee Civic Council – supporting SSOT/green space, Founder and Director of Living Well theater group, affiliated with Just Act.
– ED report (Michael) – read letter to the board; Michael’s final board meeting as Executive Director.
– Programming (Chris) – end of summer report. 27 weeks of programming between the 4 programs. 232 kids total, 33 staff, 12 junior staff. This summer was the largest group of kids returning for multiple sessions. Most common ways families find our camp – word of mouth and returning campers.
Evaluation system – difficult and time consuming to administer and compile data; more feedback needed from parents.
Staff Evals – positive feedback; more training needed; staff does not reflect the diversity of the campers; staff tribe not cohesive; Atonement space poor.
Lack of A/C in spaces remains a barrier.
Theatre Camp going well; Imagination Camp in need of rework.
Will need to evaluate spaces moving forward; Difficult for Imagination Camp, SSOT and Shadow to coexist – space too small.
Only 5 staffers of 33 had worked 3yrs or more at summer camp; difficult to maintain culture.
Chris requested small stipend for training – (training currently unpaid). Targeted Grant?
Will need to increase training time with staff.
Will have leadership core again this year.
Came in only $5,000 over budget for the summer, stayed within budget for camperships.
Add to November Agenda – Building/space concerns – (Jeff may have suggestions/solutions)
Add to November Agenda – Recall Tuition Task Force
Resource and Development –
Fringe – we will break even; down to ½ of audience we had in previous years, expenses were a bit higher, 240 total audience over 6 shows – down from 400+ total audience in past years.
Program Book – should meet budget numbers, many return folks buying ads annually.
Annual Giving Campaign – is steady and slow; may need to do end of year campaign in addition to auction.
Auction – (Pat) – date of auction December 8th; now soliciting for donations; will have vacation homes again and EAGLES tickets for game in D.C. Both electronic and hard copy letters available for donation requests. Reminder – all board members are given two tickets to auction to invite two new people to attend; babysitting available. Passed auction sign-up sheet for board members participation in running event. Goal to raise $20,000 (raised 25k last year).
WSOT Task Force – primary task is to run VIP event on March 2nd; WSOT dates Feb 28th, March 1st, 2Nd AND 3RD. VIP event to be held at Bourbon Blue at 5pm – goal to raise 10k-15k, board members asked to bring guests for hard ask.
Board Challenge or not this year? Michael will investigate further.
Add to November Agenda – Convene WSOT Task Force in Dec/Jan
Parent Group Report – (Tracy) – popsicle events after Fri afternoon performances, handed out flyers at evening performances – low response rate. Coffee morning for parents successful; lots of positive feedback re: programming; increased sense of community/networking.
Nominating committee – Discussion with potential board members; fielded their questions –
What skillsets are we looking for?; How do we communicate our mission of social change?; How does the budget serve us/how do we make financial decisions?
Confirmed new board members for January.
Add to November Agenda – Need date for December Executive Committee Meeting
Board members addendum – (stay up to a year longer) – Jake, Meg, Claudia and Meredith will remain on board for transition. Board will re-evaluate in 6 months. Evaluate at May board meeting whether or not Michael will join board at this time.
Finance Update – (Jeff) – Numbers remain consistent with previous years; looking for strategies to increase structure around what we need to raise in a more specific manner.
Estimated need to raise $85k this year.
Executive Committee – Chris will take on role of Interim Director; Tracy will co-chair with D’vorah in Jan; D’vorah and Tracy will hold Secretary role until January.
Proposed to hire temp admin at $17/hr, 12.5 hrs per week for 6 months. (Motion Passed)
Proposed salary increase for Chris while in role of Interim Director – increase by $2,300; pool of money available for additional hrs as needed for the 6 months in the role. (Motion Passed).
ED search update – overall we do not have the funds to pay quality of life salary for F/T ED position. Will need to re-evaluate the hrs/tasks of the position. Plan to repost with salary of 30k; explore restructuring of position – ED, Admin, Development (all P/T).
Duties to be assigned during Interim ED –
– Creating marketing for programs, events and performances, social media, WSOT. (Adam)
(Admin to assist with social media)
– Government funding/Research new grant possibilities. (Julie)
– Donor Relations (on hold)
– Annual Appeal – letter/mailer, maintaining mailing list (discuss with Deborah, Claudia and
Add to November Agenda – revisit Annual Appeal
– Grant reporting (Meg)
– Get descriptions of Government funding, grant apps due in January and send out to board
– Compile list of due dates for upcoming grant reports (Michael)
– Running budgeting process – (Finance Committee)
– Help develop staff training – (D’vorah)
– Active communication with regulatory agencies, IRS, etc. (Claudia)
– Advertise for internship needs, supervise and train interns (on hold)
– Appeal to new board members in January – someone to chair RDC committee,
member to finance committee, member to nominating committee>
– Deal with behavior modification as necessary (in programs); support and consult with
– Next board meeting set for November 13th but proposed to be November 27th.
– Farewell to Michael